Sometimes getting little ones to eat veggies can be a challenge, so no one is above sneaking them into an already familiar recipe.
These zucchini tots have been created by Mum-Mum’s own dietitian and will revive an old family staple using a healthy twist. This recipe does contain dairy, but you can swap out a shredded dairy-free cheese.
- 2 cups packed shredded zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella or Italian blend cheese. Dairy-free cheese blend works just as well.
- 1/2 cup crushed rice cereal or gluten-free rice puffs. You can even Baby Mum-Mum’s original or veggie biscuits.
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Shred zucchini with a cheese grater and place on paper towel. Using another paper towel, squeeze out as much water from the zucchini as possible to ensure a crispy tot. Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Crush the rice cereal or biscuits into fine crumbs (you can place cereal in a ziplock bag and roll with a rolling pin to get the crumbs). Add the eggs, cheese, crushed rice cereal, herbs, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Mix well to combine. Spoon out tightly packed portions of zucchini mixture and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.